The Scientific Archivists Group (SAG) is a not-for-profit professional association established in 1981. The initial aim was to provide support, guidance and networking for those challenged with the responsibility of implementing and operating an archive in their organisation according to GxPs. As records management has developed as a recognised process and business activity, and health authorities have taken a growing interest in the management of records across their whole life-cycle - not just those records held in the archive - so the group has also developed. Whilst recognising the importance of compliant archives, the group also recognises the need for compliant processes across the record life-cycle, from creation through to destruction. Data integrity of archived records is dependent upon robust records management practices from the point of creation or capture. This evolution in our scope was recognised in the Articles of Association when the group was incorporated as a UK limited company in 2011.
Aims of the Scientific Archivists Group
The objectives of the group are to:
- Raise the profile of records management and archiving as business critical activities;
- Improve the professional competencies of records managers and archivists;
- Encourage the consistent interpretation of pertinent laws, regulations and guidance; and
- Influence the regulatory environment.
To achieve these aims, the group will:
- Provide training in the theory and practice of records management and archiving in GxP environments;
- Encourage the professional competency of its members and promote cooperation with other organisations;
- Support the advancement of standards for GxP records management and archiving;
- Publish position papers on current issues, new regulations, emerging trends and technology advances;
- Engage in consultation processes to provide feedback to regulatory agencies; and
- Organise meetings and other events to allow the exchange of information in the field of records management and archiving.
Full membership is open to individuals with responsibility for, or an interest in records management, the establishment and management of GxP archives, and the life-cycle management of regulated scientific records. If you would like more information and are unable to find it on this website, please use the contact form below or send an email to
Scientific Archivists Group Ltd,
Registered Office Berkeley Townsend,
150 Hutton Road,
Company Number: 07614340